Tuesday 21 April 2015

How I Take My University Lecture Notes





I was recently requested to write a post on how I take notes at university, specifically, how I use my iPad for my university studies so here goes!
The first app I use is Microsoft Word for iPad which I use to take notes in lectures and seminars. I save all documents onto the online cloud One Drivemeaning I can access all my files on my laptop instantly. 
The format of my notes is pretty simple. I use Calibri Light in font size 12. I simply underline my titles and subheadings. My title (usually the lecture title/topic) always goes in the middle and then I split my document into 2 columns. I do this as I write my notes as short bullet points so therefore they don’t fill the whole line so it not only looks neater to have two columns but it also saves paper!
always make my notes on what the lecturer is saying rather than copying what is on the powerpoint slides as these are available for me to access before and after the lecture so I can add this detail in at a later date, whereas you can’t hear the lecturer over and over (unless you get permission to audio record!). I try to be as concise as possible so I don’t miss anything, you can always add detail in at a later date. 
As far as printing goes, I don’t print these notes unless I’m doing an assignment on that topic as then I prefer to have a physical copy to highlight/make physical notes on. But other than that I save all my files in folders on One Drive but also on my laptop. 
A secondary use I have for my iPad is reading Journal Articles which means I can have them next to my laptop as I work and I don’t have to spit screen my laptop. Not a necessity but I like working this way. This also means if I want to quickly read an article for a seminar I don’t have to use my laptop, I can just quickly use my iPad and read it anywhere really easily. 
I hope you’ve found this useful! Are there any other posts you would like to see on this topic or anything I do at university?
x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© BONJOUR KATIE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig