Thursday 31 July 2014

// FROM COUCH POTATO TO A HEALTHIER ME //

I've always been someone who has struggled immensely with my relationship with food and my body image and it took me a long time to realise that nothing changes overnight so I have to remain positive about these things. My first year at university was filled with junk food, excessively amounts of alcohol and lazying around watching stupid amounts of Netflix series', and of course this had a knock on effect on my weight, health and now, has impacted on my self esteem. But, don't think that this post will just be me feeling sorry for myself, oh no, this is to note down the goals I have set myself as of today. I'm making a change for me, but I'm hoping you'll join me on this journey! 



GOALS 

More water. I drink so much tea/coffee, and the occasional energy drink/fizzy drink and it has to reduce significantly. I can get through anything from 1 to 6-8 cups of tea/coffee everyday, so I aim to replace this with water. I'll never be able to give up my morning cup of tea with my breakfast but I want to keep a pint glass with me when I'm in the house, this way I can keep sipping and refilling all day. An easy change to make but one which will help improve my skin and keep me hydrated. 

3 main meals a day and healthier snacks. I love cooking but make the mistake of going for convenience over consistency when it comes to meals, mainly lunches. (I need to step away from the supernoodles) I go for the quick option instead of planning ahead (I'll come onto that later) so I want to start having proper meals and healthier snacks. It's an easy swap from the likes of pizza/chocolate to pasta salad and a banana. It will keep me fuller for longer and make me feel good on the inside too!

More exercise. I aim to complete at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, it doesn't have to be all from one activity, it can be a combination of many. It's easy to complete exercise in my house too, via youtube videos or even running up and down the stairs, but I want to get outside more too. I'm hoping to go on more country walks/runs and maybe even start going to the gym once I'm back at university and can easily access it and pay for a membership. Hopefully I can get my family/friends and boyfriend involved too. 

More 'clean' foods. This kinda follows on from '3 meals a day and healthier snacks' but I want to stop eating all those horrible prepacked ready meals, etc, they contain next to no nutrition and I always feel bloated and sick after I eat them. So why I do, I have no idea! 

Prep and plan meals. To stop running to the convenience food, I need to start planning what meals I'm going to have. It will be a little more difficult while I'm still living at home over the summer, but once I go back to university I can really plan ahead with my shopping. When it comes to lunches, I can easily find time in a morning to prepare something in advance so it's easily grabbed out of the fridge ready to eat there and then or take in a lunchbox to uni/days out or wherever I'm going. 

Get up earlier. In order to fit in more exercise/cooking, I need to get up earlier. The days of lying in bed until midday (or sometimes all day...) watching TV and slobbing about are over! I need to start getting up at a reasonable hour, going to bed earlier and just getting motivated for the day. 

MEAL IDEAS

Breakfast:-
  •   A small banana cup up topped with greek yoghurt (2 tablespoons) and a handful of granola. (could also add a teaspoon of honey drizzled over)
  •   Fruit with greek yoghurt. (eg. Apples, peaches, banana, strawberries, blueberries)
  •   Fruit smoothie.
  •   Green smoothie.

Lunch:-
  •   Chicken breast with salad (lettuce leaves, cucumber, bell peppers)
  •   Pasta salad – tuna/chicken/salmon & lettuce leaves and veggies.
  •   Meat/Fish (chicken/tuna/white fish) with rice and veggies (broccoli, peas)
  •   Pesto pasta (could add salami/chicken/mushrooms)
  •   Ham, salad wholemeal sandwich

Dinner:-
  •   Pasta dishes (bolognese, tomato sauce, crab pasta, chicken and lemon linguine)
  •   Chicken, rice/potatoes and veggies.
  •   Wholemeal pitta pizza
  •   Homemade chicken/vegetable curry
  •   Cottage pie
  •   Chilli and rice
  •   Homemade fish cakes
  •   Turkey meatballs
(Picture is linked via pinterest.)


EXERCISE IDEAS

At home:-
  •   YouTube videos
  •   Circuit training
  •   Running stairs
  •   Crunches and Squats
  •   Yoga

Outside:-
  •   Walk more – less relying on public transport/lifts
  •   Jogging
  •   Bike rides
  •   Country walks with family/friends
  •   Sports


SUPPORT NETWORK
I’m looking for anyone who has similar goals with their lifestyle and wants to join me on this and support each other. It doesn’t matter if your goals are exactly the same or slightly different but I’d love someone with a positive attitude to chat to and share recipes/exercise plans/tips with. It’s as much for you, as for me. Feel free to comment on this post and we can communicate via twitter/email/whatever method we can both agree on!

UPDATE POSTS
I want to keep my blog updated with how I’m getting on so I intend to write blog posts at regular intervals (perhaps every fortnight/month) to keep track of my progress. I want to be able to look back on this when I’m feeling a little demotivated and find inspiration and remember what I’ve achieved. This way I can share my favourite meals, exercise routines, what I need to improve on and anything else motivational to help me along. (quotes, etc)

I’m so happy to finally be getting back into my healthier routine and I can’t wait to feel and look better. It’s gonna be tough but I’m ready for this. *insert bicep emoji* ;)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© BONJOUR KATIE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig