Wednesday 13 August 2014

Summer Reads | You Had Me At Hello



Before I completed my GCSE's I was a major bookworm, always switching time outside to stay in, read and drink tea. I was a complete bookworm. My studies took over but I still loved, and still do love reading so I thought I'd share with you a book a finished just a few days ago. I bought it months ago but it took me until the other week to start reading. 

The Storyline //

Mhairi McFarlane explores the concept of 'The One Who Got Away' and what happens if they come back into your life unexpectedly, through humour and romance. 

"Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart. It’s been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away.
They’d been partners in crime and the best of friends. But life has moved on: Ben is married. Rachel is not. Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she’s never been able to mend." (the blurb)
My Thoughts //
I found myself instantly relating to everyday situations that Rachel finds herself in as she travels through life at university and beyond, whether it be meeting people for the first time, dealing with boss's/colleague's are far from professional and friends who aren't what they seem. I found myself laughing at the awkward and embarrassing situations that we've all found ourselves in and crying when she is nursing a broken heart, they're experiences that we have all been through so I found it easy to connect with how the character was feeling and experience things with her, especially as it is written in the first person.
The chapters are fairly short which means it's a book which is easy to pick up and put down and not lose your place, and easy to read for hours, or short bursts, however you prefer. The book is mainly set in the present but sometimes switches back to the past when extra insight is needed to explain why she is feeling the way she does or to highlight an event which she remembers in that moment. I like that, it gives depth to her character and makes her even more believable and easy to relate to.
I was hooked on this book by the end and I could easier have read a little more into what happens next, (SO difficult not to spoil the end!) and for anyone who loves a good rom-com, I thoroughly recommend this book as an easy read which is enjoyable from beginning to end. 


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Ive read this and found it quite hard to get into at first. But once you are hooked, you are 100% hooked! A great read :)

    Sian | Siân Marie Beauty
    xo

    ReplyDelete

© BONJOUR KATIE. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig